Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Although the image of an ostrich burying its head in the sand is based on myth rather than fact, it is the perfect icon to depict the many avoidance tactics we use to deal with difficult issues at work – including diversity and inclusion. All the running, hiding and avoiding (i.e., the ostrich approach) won’t change what’s going on around us. We need to make a commitment to “pull our heads out of the sand” so that we can communicate more clearly and effectively with one another.
The diversity in today’s workforce creates opportunities for leaders and team members to learn from each other and appreciate the differences each of us brings to the workplace. The leader plays a key role in promoting and supporting respect and responsibility within the work team.
The implications from not recognizing, addressing or providing the tools to address diversity, equity and inclusion in an organization and the inability to build skills to leverage diversity and create an inclusive work environment can not only be devastating to its long-term success, but clearly undermine the success of its operations. Diversity, equity and inclusion creates an organization’s lens for innovation. The impact on the talent pipeline alone can chip away at the organization’s foundation, leaving it stagnant and unable to address the needs of its diverse workforce and customers. Learn to tap diversity and consciously build an inclusive culture to build organizational strength through best practices.
This session is designed to engage your heart, mind, and imagination. We will focus on strategies and techniques for promoting and leading diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in teams in your organizations.
Session Includes: Seminar, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking, and Supplementary learning resources.
Instructor: Amy S. Tolbert, PH.D., CSP
Amy S. Tolbert, Ph.D., CSP develops multicultural organizations and individuals by focusing on experiential learning in topics, such as, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, Leadership Competency Development and Managing to Style.
As a Fellow at Carlson Executive Education, Dr. Tolbert is the founder and principal of ECCO International – which specializes in helping individuals expand their productivity and organizations increase their profitability through e-learning, technology and facilitated experiential learning.
She is well authored with 4 books, many articles, assessment tools, active blogs, and created a video based global communications training to develop intercultural communication skills called Open Mind, Open World.
Addressing diversity and multicultural issues, she is founder and partner in Spectra Diversity, a technology-based firm offering the Spectra Diversity Inclusion Assessment (SDIA), which measures both organizational progress and individual skills related to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
She served as President for NSA-MN, has served several terms as National Vice Chair for the Professional Expertise Group on Diversity with NSA and was awarded the Mark LeBlanc Award for excellence in the speaking industry. She currently serves on the hrconnection Advisory Board, is Commodore for the Bayport Marina Association and is a board member of the Institute for Lawful, Safe and Effective Policing (ILSEP). ILSEP’s objective is to fix the current perception of abusive policing towards citizens, including those of diverse races and in vulnerable populations by providing education for both police officers and the community.
Dr. Tolbert earned her doctorate in Human Resource Development, focusing on international/cross-cultural and diversity education/training, from the University of Minnesota.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Link diversity, equity and inclusion to your organization’s mission and strategic plan
- Increase awareness of your personal cultural lens and how that lens impacts decisions you make about others
- Examine ways to disrupt the impact of bias and build trust
- Develop skills through experiential activities that can be utilized to create an inclusive workplace:
- State the Five Simple Actions and how you can personally apply each one in the workplace
- Identify your behavior(s) and that of others that demonstrate inclusive daily interactions
- Create an inclusive work environment that leverages differences
1. 9:00 to 10:30
- Why Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Are Important in Your Organization
- DEI’s impact on organizational culture
- How does it link to your organization’s mission and strategy?
- Changing Demographics and War on Talent – Locally, Nationally, Globally
- The Dimensions of Diversity – Unity Circle Activity
Activities: Small and large group discussions, video
2. 10:45 to 12:15
- The Neuroscience of Bias and Respect
- What is bias and why is it important
- Where do our biases come from?
- What is unconscious bias?
- Explaining blind spots
- Types of biases and how to address them
Activities- Group Exercise, small group discussion, video, self reflection
3. 1:00 to 2:30
- Building an Inclusive Workplace
- How Do We Disrupt Bias?
- Becoming more self-aware
- Moving outside your comfort zone – getting comfortable with being UNcomfortable
- Challenging Assumptions
- Five Simple Actions
- Determine procedures for sharing ideas, challenges and best practices
Activities: Small group work, Creating a Charter of Inclusive Behaviors, Personal Action Plan
Competencies and Target Audience
Level of Leader
A = Leader of Others
B = Leader of Self
C = Leader of Leaders
Registration Options & Pricing
To register one or more attendees online with a credit card, click the desired link below. You’ll receive an email confirmation with a receipt. Each person registered will receive a ticket with detailed instructions.
To receive an invoice or pay with a check, please email our registrar Nadine@LeadershipUSA.biz with attendee names, titles, and email addresses.
Live Instructor-Led Event in Denver…..REGISTER FOR DENVER
- $299 per member, $499 per guest (includes breakfast, lunch, all-day beverages, parking, wifi, and participant materials)
- $1999 for a table of 8 or $19,999 for an annual table (email Nadine@LeadershipUSA.biz for these options)
Live Stream to Individual, Team, or Group….. REGISTER FOR LIVE STREAM
Recorded Live Event…..BUY THE RECORDING
- $199 per member
- $1,999 unlimited license for all employees in all locations
This activity has been approved for 4.5 (HR (General)) recertification credit hours toward California, GPHR, PHRi, SPHRi, PHR and SPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. The use of the seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute’s to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
This program is valid for 4.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM
If you have membership or registration questions, please contact John@LeadershipUSAColorado.com or call 303-471-7401.